CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 14, 2008

ANAL RETENTIVE PAIN IN THE A**

So, the babies will be 9 months old on Wednesday. I am so proud of my babies- how they have grown and developed, despite their prematurity- and I would do anything for them.

And this probably shouldn't bother me as much as it does-

But, this weekend, I was told by a friend, whom I will refer to as "M" that when the kids were in the NICU and I am guessing the Step Down Nursery, I was an "anal retentive pain in the a**". This came from a NICU nurse, whom I will call "A" who did not directly care for the kids, but who I knew prior to even getting pregnant. I only saw "A" once then entire time the kids were hospitalized. "A" was so nice to my face and had always been that way. Maybe that is why I was truly shocked when I heard "A's" comment. It takes quite a bit to shock me, but this comment did.

Maybe it is because I heard it from "M" who mentioned it as kind of an off the cuff comment. It really got to me and "M" knows how to get under my skin and push my buttons.

Yes, it is true that I have certain expectations for care for my children. It is also true that I have a medical background and may have a greater understanding of what the real situations are from a medical standpoint. Yes, I can be a pain in the a**. Hubby knows this first hand from dining out with me. I can be a manager's worst nightmare. Perhaps that is why I have always had great success in working in the Customer Service industry. But when it comes the kids...that is not being a pain in the a**...that is being a MOTHER.

Yes, I did speak with the Clinical Coordinator regarding the unannounced changes in feeding times (we had a solid hour commute to get to the hospital and arrived to find the kids had been fed and diapered and we couldn't hold them). I asked that I be notified of any change in their schedule, so that I could adjust my schedule accordingly. This was IGNORED...

I also spoke to her regarding the Breastfeeding Nazi, who made it very clear that if you fed your children anything other than breastmilk, you were poisoning them. She was older and very set in her ways and really was very condescending. Hubby couldn't stand her. I mean, he has 3 daughters from his first marriage. He has done this before. WE are not 16 year old kids with zero experience.

I also requested that no "student" nurses be involved in the care of the babies. I arrived one day to find a student nurse trying to figure out how to put a diaper on for 20 minutes. Practice on a doll, kiddo....not my babies.

The Clinical Coordinator was very understanding and our experience improved greatly. Well, I guess the nurses, being catty bit*hes that they are, were just placating us. So be it.

If the worst thing that anyone can say about me is that I am anal retentive when it comes to the quality of medical care that my children receive, oh friggin' well.

Am I a bit*h? Yeah, probably. Is "A" out of line for even telling "M" anything about our NICU stay? Yeah, I think so. Should "M" keep quiet next time? I hope so.

This has been rattling around my head for 2 days now and frankly, I want to put it to bed, so I had to get it out there.

2 comments:

cat said...

Ag blah blah to them! You are the good mom you wanted to be and bugger the rest! Don't even spare it another thought. You did what you believed were the best for your babies.

edie & ella said...

Obviously A has forgotten about a little thing called HIPPA..... I would bust her dumb a**